Monday, March 4, 2013

Emma

In the final analysis, is Emma a sympathetic character? Does she seem to have good intentions only marred by a slight desire to interfere with other people's lives, or is she thoughtless and unconcerned with the effects she has on others? In your estimation, is Emma ultimately moral or immoral? What specific incidents in the novel lead you to that conclusion?

4 comments:

Holly said...

I think she's sympathetic with good intentions. She could be better, but no one's perfect. I imagine it would have been hard to be under such tight restraints regarding class as they were then. People weren't just people. They were only people within the same class level. Emma was a meddler for sure, but at least she was trying to meddle in ways that she thought would bring happiness to people. She wasn't really trying to hurt anyone. If in the process of "helping" others she also go to take some credit and praise, I'm sure she would love that. Maybe she craved that more than she should have, but in the end I'd say she was moral.

Seth and Julie said...

I guess you can tell my opinion of Emma by now. I think she is partly a victim of her circumstances, doted on and spoiled and never called to repentance (by anyone but Mr. Knightley) but in the end I still don't trust her. The only time I can ever think of her putting someone else's happiness above her own is when she refuses to leave her dad, even if it means postponing her marriage. I think there is some good in there but mostly it is all about her.

The Kings said...

I don't think Emma was a bad person but she was very spoiled and used to getting her way with everyone. She seem to feel that she could treat everyone the way she wanted without regard for their feelings. With the Coles she really didn't like them at first but was put out that she didn't get an invitation to their party as quick as everyone else. Making up opinions about Jane Fairfax that were so mean about the pianoforte and possible liasions was cruel. And her treatment of Miss Bates was not nice. But I think in the end she saw that she was not acting in a kind manner and proposed to change. I think if Mr. Knightly had not seen her kindness at times and her qualities of good I don't think he would have put up with her.

Cheryl said...

I agree to all of it. I didn't like her. But I don't think she was a bad person. I think she was spoiled and selfish and immature but I do think she had good intentions and truly cared about those around her being happy.
I have to say I like the movie version of Emma better.. that doesn't happen often.